Friday, November 20, 2015

That Darn Hip: Post-Op

I finally got to hold Jack for a good long while this morning. He was too uncomfortable the first few days post-operation, but this morning, he snuggled right in with me. Heaven, I tell ya..

Besides a few quick photos and updates to Facebook, I haven't had a chance to write about the surgery or how Jack has been doing since then. Now that we are four days out, I thought I'd give a little update.

The hip surgery could not have gone smoother. We were impressed with Jack's pain management and his care. We could tell that both the orthopedic surgeon and anesthesiologist were compassionate, thoughtful and very committed. This was a significant surgery and we knew that pain and muscle spasms were the norm. Jack had some rough moments immediately coming out of anesthesia, but after that, he did well. Much better than we expected, really. Besides putting the hip back in socket and the whole reconstruction of his hip, the doctor was also able to do a lengthening procedure of Jack's leg tendons, so hopefully his muscles won't be so tight.

Jack before surgery. He got the perfect Jackpants cape from his Grandma Bennion. Our boy was so brave.

Jack post-surgery.
Cracking his first smile. And a look at his cast.

Sweet boy, catching some sleep in the hospital.
We felt confident enough to leave the day after surgery. I think the hospital staff knew we had been around the block with this whole surgery thing and as everyone knows, no one sleeps well in the hospital.

Once set up at my parents house, we have been getting our routine down. Meds, repositioning of Jack's body (even though he is pretty much set at a certain angle with the body cast, we have to make sure he has good blood flow to all of his limbs and that he doesn't develop bed sores), trying to get Jack to eat (he took a total of 11 bites yesterday, but we'll take it!), keeping him hydrated, and what we are learning to be the hardest battle - dealing with the boredom. Yesterday we were able to get out for a quick 5 minute walk in his new wheelchair, but he was still too uncomfortable to stay at the angle long. So lots of movies, lots of playing catch, lots of trying to get Jack to laugh. We will slowly add more activity as he can handle it.

Jack has quite the balloon bouquet going and he continues to get such sweet and thoughtful care packages. And us adults are well-fed, too. So many goodies have showed up at the door and we couldn't be more thankful for everyone's kindness.

One last thing - all the texts, messages, and comments were so encouraging to us as Jack was in the hospital. We read every single one. It's moments like these that I realize Jack has a giant cheering section across the world. How cool is that?

Pin It!


Renae Winkler said...

I have followed Jack's story for a long time and look forward to hearing how the family is doing. Jack is a remarkable little guy who works very hard. I know you are proud of him.

Jessi said...

Thank you so much, Renae. Means a lot that you follow Jack and how he is doing!

Ms. Griggs said...

So glad to hear that Jack's doing well..prayers and happy thoughts for his recovery and a happy holiday season!

Jaimie said...

This is off topic, but I'm not quite sure of how to get a hold of you otherwise. I have a friend that just delivered her son, hes a 26 weaker. My friend and I want to do something for her but don't know where to start. We've done some freezer meals but that's it for now. I'm wondering if you can give me some ideas to what would help her out. Tia!

Jessi said...

Jaimie - that is so thoughtful of you! What a nice friend you are. I love this post and found it to have some good ideas of how to help.